List of 6 Best Schools in Austria (2020 Fees)
Primary and secondary schools in Austria2020欧洲杯体育投注备用 (مدارس في النمسا) are legally governed by the Schools Act of 1962. Based on this statute, the school system promotes diversity in education and training preferences to meet the needs and interests of all children. Moreover, education in Austria is free in public schools for the first 9 years. All children between the ages of six to 15 years should be receiving an education.
Children begin at the elementary level at volksschule or people schools for four years. After that, children progress to lower secondary education (Hauptschule) for four years, until they reach Secondary level two. Children can enroll in the public school system, which is administered by the federal ministry of education. After completing four years of primary and four years of middle school education, the child can opt to enroll in a polytechnic for a year. After which the student can join vocational schools (Berufsschule) for three years.
Alternatively, after primary education, children can choose between lower secondary school (Hauptschule) or academic secondary school (Allgemeinbildende Höhere Schule (AHS)). Hauptschule2020欧洲杯体育投注备用 prepares students for working life and offers vocational training and skills that will help the students develop a career. Nonetheless, academic secondary schools provide a comprehensive and advanced curriculum.
Facts About Schools in Austria
- Primary and secondary education is provided at the state level by the local authorities.
- Students can opt for private or public schools at all levels of education. Moreover, the majority of private schools are exclusively run by the Roman Catholic Church.
- Compulsory schooling begins on the first of September after the child’s sixth birthday.
- The official language of instruction used in schools is German. There are private, German Speaking and foreign language schools, such as the American International School of Vienna.
- There are various types of schools, which include:
- Special needs schools (Sonderschule) – grade 1 to 8
- Primary school - grade 1 to 4
- New secondary school or lower secondary school (Neue Mittelschule)
- Vocational school (Berufsschule) and Secondary technical – grade 9 to 12
- vocational high school or college (Berufsbildende höhere Schule) – grades 9 to 13.
- Academy for social work (Bundesakademie für Sozialarbeit)
- Institutes for teacher and educator training (Anstalten der Lehrer- und der Erzieherbildung)
- The completion of education in the country is high compared to international standards.
- Although there is no legal obligation to do so, a majority of children enroll in kindergarten from age three, although compulsory education begins at age six. However, according to the Ministry of Education, the child is still not ready to attend school, he or she may undergo a one-year preschool program before starting primary school.
For more details, please click